Las Vegas, Nev. (Feb. 5, 2016)–It was just another week for the UNLV Men’s golf team as the wins and accolades rolled in for the program. As a team, the Rebels won the LMU Invitational played at Jack Nicklaus’ Reflection Bay Golf Club in Las Vegas and senior captain AJ McInerney and sophomore John Oda tied for the individual title, continuing his hot play. Following the tournament, both McInerney and Oda earned Mountain West Conference Player of the Week honors. –By Brian Hurlburt
As a team, the Rebels blistered the Reflection Bay course over three rounds, finishing at 30-under par and 28 shots in front of runner-up St. Mary’s. In all, four Rebels finished in the top 5. AJ and Oda were joined by Zane Thomas and Harry Hall.
Shintaro Ban finished eighth.
The victory was the first of the season for the team and the first-ever in the career of McInerney, who has battled ongoing back issues during his Rebel career. He grew up in Las Vegas and is a former Nevada State high school champion and part of three-straight team titles at Coronado High School. Thomas is also from Las Vegas.
The victory was the second in the career for Oda. The Mountain West accolades were the first for both players.
UNLV Men’s Golf Team
AJ McInerney – UNLV – Senior, Henderson, Nevada / Coronado HS
– Won individual medalist honors with teammate John Oda at the LMU Invitational, which was played at Lake Las Vegas’ Reflection Bay Golf Club on Feb. 1-2. The duo won the event by four strokes over the third-place golfer.
– Shot an 8-under-par 208 (68-68-72) on the par 72, 7,228-yard Reflection Bay Golf Club course.
– Recorded lows of four-under 68 in both the first and second round.
– It was McInerney’s first career individual crown and second top-five finish in 2015-16.
– Led UNLV to its first team title of the year, finishing 28 strokes ahead of second-place Saint Mary’s. The Rebels carded a 30-under-par 834 over the 54-hole tournament.
John Oda – UNLV – Sophomore, Honolulu, Hawaii / Moanalua HS
– Won individual medalist honors with teammate AJ McInerney at the LMU Invitational, which was played at Lake Las Vegas’ Reflection Bay Golf Club on Feb. 1-2.
– Shot an 8-under-par 208 (67-70-71) on the par 72, 7,228-yard Reflection Bay Golf Club course.
– Marked his second career individual victory and second top-five finish this season.
– His low round of the tournament came on the first 18 holes when he fired a 5-under 67.
– Led UNLV to its first team title of the year, finishing 28 strokes ahead of second-place Saint Mary’s.